Administrative formalities

Do you want to study at the Catholic University of Lyon?

Here are the steps that you need to take to comply with French rules and regulations.

  • Important : If you are staying for less than three months, there are no formalities to complete.

You just need to bring your identity card and passport.

1. Have a valid passport or identity card

Before you leave, make sure that your passport is valid until the end of your stay.
You need your passport to enter France.

You will be asked to present your passport at the border.

Useful information: for EU citizens, an identity card is all you need.

2. Visa requirements

In addition to a passport that allows you to enter France, you must apply for a visa to allow you to stay in France for the duration of your studies.
You should apply for a long stay visa, which gives you the right to a student residence permit, that is valid for one year and may be renewed.

Who needs a visa?

If you are a citizen of the European Economic Area (European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway), Switzerland, Andorra or Monaco, you do not need a visa.

If you are not a citizen of one of these countries you must get a long stay visa.
To check if you need a visa, visit the web site of the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Applying for a visa

For any information on applying for a visa, contact your nearest French embassy or consulate.

3. Residence permit

Who needs a residence permit?

If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you do not need a residence permit.
If not, you will need to apply for a residence permit when you arrive.


Residence permits are issued at the Prefecture:
Préfecture du Rhône
106, rue Pierre Corneille
69003 LYON